Custom Bioprocessing | Life Sciences
EKF Life Sciences’ downstream processing applications are designed in order to address a multitude of client applications.
We work to customer specifications to produce a cell paste through various intermediary fractions to the final freeze drying of final product.
After the fermentation process is completed, the harvesting of the product from the fermented biomass can be accomplished by our technical team following a number of different steps.
- Primary cell separation can be completed via centrifugation (two AS-16 Super Sharples centrifuges) or microfiltration
- Lysates are prepared utilizing a Gaulin 30CD homogenizer, with a maximum operating pressure of 15,000 psi
- Ultrafiltration is available for final concentration of liquid formulations on a tangential flow platform using various NMWCO membranes
- IEC chromatography is available for purification/concentration, with columns ranging from 1 liter up to 50 liters
Some of our customers prefer to handle and control the high value added processes of preparing proprietary formulations and packaging of their final product. We offer limited final-fill operations and also partner customers with qualified vendors for special requirements relating to product packaging of our custom bulk reagents.
Lyophilization and other bulk packaging protocols are also available depending on the scope of the project and the needs of the customer.
Our downstream processing and QC analytical area includes:
- Cell freezing
- Centrifugation (superspeed and continuos flow)
- Cell homogenization/disruption
- Column chromatography
- Lyophilizer for freeze drying
- Gel electrophoresis and enzyme characterization capabilities